Monday, October 24, 2022

Broaching an Awkward Subject...

I had intended to write this post a long time ago... on the nineteenth, to be exact. But I missed it because the internet connection was too weak... I am quite put out!



Anyway... I thought and thought about this post and the more I thought about it, the more nervous I got. Because, you see, I have all the stats from the views on this blog and most of my views come from Canada and the UK. Which poses a problem. (Although I must admit it is flattering, for I admire and love British culture and Canada, because it has PEI and Anne, is a land of dreams to me.) But anyway, I am a Yankee and a rather patriotic one... and I am also (as you know) an obsessive historian. So how to write about things like this without offending my friends across the pond or otherwise still loyal to the British crown? 

Not to put down any loyal British subjects, of course, because all that happened long ago and we're all jolly good friends now...




Okay... it's okay... I'm still here! ๐Ÿ˜ 

So... On the nineteenth of October in 1781, General Cornwallis surrendered to General Washington and thus the American Revolution ended and we became our own country.


Still think it's hilarious though that the British army played "The World Turned Upside Down" during the ceremony ๐Ÿ˜  


And, being a weird historian, I celebrate that date in something akin to the Fourth of July... just without the fireworks.

Anyway, I had planned an entire spiel on the siege of Yorktown, but I'm tired and don't feel like writing much today.... and I have a lot to do. Like a LOT. Like studying for college, canning applesauce, finishing A Bend in the Road (upon which I have been working for an entire year already... and that is not good) and Seonaid has been begging me to review the next chapter of Mary Jane's Diary and I am reading a Tessa Afshar book, which came recommended very highly and I am enjoying very much, so y'see, I kind of have to go.

But I'll leave you with this... in honor of the end of the war, may I present you with the beginning of the war?

If you've ever visited Williamsburg (which is like paradise on earth... for me, at least) then you've probably seen this gem of a film... one of the most beautifully historically accurate things ever. And the longest running film in history, to boot! Enjoy!


The Story of a Patriot 



Huzzah!!

'Til Next Time...

Juliette









3 comments:

  1. Of course, I can only speak for myself.... but this similarly patriotic Canadian happens to be fascinated by history of all kinds,
    ( yup,even the slightly controversial American stuff!) and would love to see you write more about it....To your heart’s content! You’ll find that as long as we don’t argue about the Battle of Stony Creek, I’m very difficult to offend๐Ÿ˜‚and easy to intrigue, to boot!

    ~Emily
    Ps. So happy you’re enjoying the book! I’d love to hear what you thought of it sometime.... which one are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here!! I live for history.

      Okay, we won't talk about Stony Creek. ๐Ÿ˜† Funny coincidence though... we're going on a day trip next weekend to visit Fort Niagara and the waterfall. Never seen either the fort or Niagara Falls before, can't wait!!! I'll wave to you over the Canadian border ๐Ÿ˜œ Though it might be hard to see that far... ๐Ÿค”

      Yes!! It was a really good book and I'm so glad you recommended it!! I read Bread of Angels (based on the Biblical story of Lydia... which we happened to read about in church this morning...) I'll definitely be reading more of her books and will probably do a post on her at some point!!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, lucky you!! Sounds amazing๐Ÿ˜ƒ Like a post opportunity, mayhap? I’ll be squinting in that direction and waving right back (;

    Just kidding, we can definitely talk about
    SC๐Ÿ˜„ we’ll just have slightly different perspectives!

    That’s wonderful! Bread of Angels is one of my favourites.... (Lydia is actually in the book The Land Of Silence too, only as a child) And as you can probably guess, from me talking so much about her.... I’d be thrilled to see you do a post on her sometime (;

    ReplyDelete

It is a truth universally acknowledged that any writer, in possession of a blog, must be in want of comments!