Saturday, February 4, 2023

WWII Dog Tags

Well, this is fun!! I found a site that replicates original WWII army dog tags. So I made a few for the boys... the main ones, that is. Made me mad though that I couldn't fit Josh's full last name, which is really Campbell-Hayes. Full names for all of them are Ronald Aaron Stewart, Joshua Caleb Campbell-Hayes, and Malcom Isaac Scott. In case that makes them unrecognizable, that's Ronnie, Josh, and Mac. ๐Ÿ˜ Ooh, and what makes this even more fun is that I'm probably going to order these. Put them on my keychain, y'know? Wish I could send you Mac's, Emi! ๐Ÿ˜ Honestly, I love these guys like family. It's funny how real book characters can become... 













Prepare yourself for a historical lecture because I am in the mood... 

About dog tags, these were (well, still are) the main identification for a soldier. Although there are more secure methods of identification nowadays, they're still issued, probably more for nostalgia than actual use. They were first used beginning in 1906. Soldiers are given two which they wear around their neck. When a man is killed in battle, one of the tags is taken for official records, the other is buried with him.

During the beginning of WWII, the tags included a soldier's name, army serial number, date of tetanus vaccine, blood type, name and address of next of kin, and religion. On the tags up above, I made up the serial numbers and addresses... the next of kin listed are all their parents... Josh and Ronnie's dads and Mac's mom, since his dad passed away. The "P" on the bottom right corner is their religion, "P" standing for "Protestant". The only other options were "Catholic" and "Hebrew". 

Interesting facts about dog tags...

-Soldiers often stuck the tags together with putty or tape to stop the clinking sound, which could give them away to the enemy. By the Vietnam war, tags were put into rubber covers to fix this problem.

-During the Vietnam War, most soldiers would tie at least one of their tags into their boot laces to keep the enemy from stealing them. Dog tags were considered war trophies by Vietnamese soldiers. Like Native Americans taking scalps. 

-A few rumors exist about where the term "dog tag" came from... some say it was because WWII draftees complain about being treated like dogs, others simply because they look like the tags on a dog's collar.

-During the Civil War, before dog tags became standard issue, soldiers made wooden discs with their names on them so they could be identified after death.

-A soldier's religion was listed for the purpose of providing the proper burial in case of his death.
 
-Later on in WWII, the army stopped putting the information of next of kin on the tags so that the enemy couldn't threaten the families of captured soldiers.

-For Jewish soldiers in WWII, the "H" denoting their religion was a great danger. If captured by the Germans, they would be sent to concentration or death camps, rather than POW camps. Often they would file away the "H" to make it illegible, throw away their dog tags in the event of being captured, or simply not have a religion listed at all. One interesting story tells about a Jewish field medic who was captured in France after being knocked unconscious by an artillery blast. Another non-Jewish member of his unit quickly broke his tags in half, burying the half with the "H" on it. This action probably saved his life.

Well, that's enough rambling for one day. And I'm afraid I've been posting too much lately too! When the mood comes, I must act upon it, I'm afraid.

Till Next Time!

Juliette

5 comments:

  1. Oh. My. GOODNESS. How cool is this!! Now I’m going to want to know where you found them, because, well, BECAUSE๐Ÿ˜œ

    ๐Ÿ˜ฒI’m slightly flabbergasted right now. Because literally a couple of days ago I was thinking I should ask you if he (meaning Mac) was Protestant or Catholic! And he’s been P in my mind this whole time, so that’s just perfect (:
    And for the record….. There is absolutely no such thing as posting too much๐Ÿ˜„

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Isn't it amazing?? I'm so excited to get them... it'll make them seem so much more real ๐Ÿ˜ You go to the mydogtag website, choose "World War II" from the military dogtags dropdown menu and from there choose "Army Dog Tags WWII 1941-43" since he enlisted in '41. Then you just fill it out from there ๐Ÿ˜„ You can even choose the extra option to have them blackened to make them look used. It's the coolest thing ever ๐Ÿ˜„

      Oh yeah, definitely Protestant. Especially because you mentioned him being a minister in a country church at some point in the future and I just couldn't see him being a priest or a vicar ๐Ÿ˜† Actually, I had an idea about him leading Sunday worship for the troops if they had free moments on Sundays...

      Ah, then, I shall post as much as I like!! ๐Ÿ˜†

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much!! Eeee, this is unbelievably exciting๐Ÿ˜‚
      I know!! Having something that’s so uniquely THEIRS would make it feel almost as if they could just walk in the door at any moment๐Ÿค— In my imagination it does, anyway!

      Right?! My thoughts exactly….
      That sounds like a capital idea! I hereby reserve a seat in the front row, be it on a pew or the ground (;

      Delete
  2. What an awesome idea! I should post that website on the Band of Brothers fandom on Tumblr, seeing as how many people write their own WWII fanfics on there.

    And I knew absolutely nothing about the history of the military dog tag either. Thanks for the history lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed!! I'm nuts for random history facts ๐Ÿ˜† And yeah, these things are so neat... just a little piece of history ❤

      I've been meaning to watch Band of Brothers at some point... I need to get around to it!!

      Delete

It is a truth universally acknowledged that any writer, in possession of a blog, must be in want of comments!