Sunday, December 31, 2023

In With The New

Hullo, kindreds! It is I, once again….


I seem to be making a habit of these Just-Because posts, don’t I? They just creep up on me, I’m afraid. And scribblers cannot help but scribble, that is a widely known and understood fact. But getting on with the original reason for this post, which would be, after a fashion and one book-ramble, the New Year.

Don’t you just love when a passage of some book you have read jumps out when you’re looking for the right words, and fits the situation so perfectly it might have been written especially for that precise moment?

I do, anyway. Especially when it has been some time since I read it, and I am then presented with the pleasure of being delighted by it all over again. 


Such was the case with this. 


The New Year, naturally enough, keeps coming to mind, and with it, a passage out of one of my favourite books in the whole world… (Yes, I have a very great lot of Favourite Books, but that does not make them individually any less so ;)


And if you have not read it, you must remedy it at once, because this is one of the loveliest things that ever was written! So much so that I may start a wee corner just especially for book reviews to live in, because this is making me want somewhere to wax long-winded about it…


Seriously, you guys, this book is gold. And to tempt you into tasting and seeing for yourselves… Also because it fits today so well… 


I present you with a wee excerpt of:



Pixie O’ Shaughnessy, by George De Horne Vaizy.



“Prithee, silence!” he said. That was all—“Prithee, silence!” and at the sound there was another flutter of excitement among the guests. 


The hands of the clock pointed to four minutes to twelve, and it was evident that the last item in the charming programme was about to take place. Ladies moved about on tiptoe, mounting the first steps of the staircase, or standing on stools to ensure a better view. Men moved politely to the rear. There was a minute’s preoccupation, and when the general gaze was once more turned to the doorway, it was seen that a significant change had taken place in the scene.


Against a background of screens stood the figure of an old man—a very old man, it would appear, since his back was bowed and his head and beard white as the snow on the ground outside. His brown cloak hung in tatters, and he leant heavily upon his staff. A deep-toned “Ah–h!” sounded through the assembly, and showed that the onlookers were at no loss to understand the character which he was intended to represent. “The Old Year,” murmured one voice after another.


Then a solemn hush fell over all as the clock ticked out the last minutes, and through the opened door came a blast of icy air and a few flakes of snow, blown inwards by the wind. Only another minute, and then there it came—the slow, solemn chiming of the clock on the tower. One, two, three. Good-bye, Old Year! What if you have brought troubles in your wake, you have brought blessings too, and sunny summer hours! Four, five, six—Dear old friend, we are sorrier to part with thee than we knew! We have not appreciated thee enough, made enough of thy opportunities. If we have ever reproached thee, thou hast cause to reproach us now. Seven, eight, nine. Going so soon? We were used to thee, and had been long companions, and of the new and untried there is always a dread. Good-bye, Old Year! Take with thee our blessings and our thanks, our sorrowful regrets for all wherein we have been amiss. Ten, eleven, twelve. 


It is here! The New Year has come, and to greet its arrival such a clashing of bells, such an outburst of strange and jangling sounds as fairly deafened the listening ears. Molly, grinning from ear to ear, was running the broom-handle up and down the row of bells outside the servants’ hall. Mike was belabouring the gong as if his life depended on his exertions. The stable-boy was blowing shrilly through a tin whistle, and the fat old cook was dashing trays of empty mustard-tins on the stone floor, and going off into peals of laughter between each movement.


Perhaps it was owing to the stunning effect of this sudden noise that what had happened at the doorway seemed to have something of the quickness of magic to the astonished onlookers, but a good deal of the credit was still due to the castors on which the screens had been mounted, to an ingenious arrangement of strings, and to many and careful rehearsals. Certain it is that, whereas at one moment the figure of the Old Year was visible to all, at the next he had disappeared, and the sound of that last long chime had hardly died away before another figure stood in his place. No need to ask the name of the visitor. It was once more patent to the most obtuse beholder. A small, girlish figure with dark locks falling loosely over the shoulders, with a straight white gown reaching midway between the knees and the ankles, and showing little bare feet encased in sandals. A few white blossoms were held loosely in one hand, and in the other a long white scroll—the page on which was to be inscribed the history of an untried path.”





If you are familiar with the book… You may remember a certain line that comes in very shortly after the wee miss of a “New Year” turns back into the main character, albeit still in costume. 



Be careful, it won’t rub out.” 



Pixie, of course, meant the scroll itself, because someone was about to write on it. But it holds equal significance with the real New Year, I think! 


I don’t usually do resolutions, I’m much too apt to make a thousand wholeheartedly, and drop them by Day Three.  I do better with outlines to grow inside, paths instead of walls. And I think… This year’s may look a bit like those words.


Be careful. Make everything matter, think twice and you won’t need that eraser nearly so much, Emi. Listen more than you talk, see openly instead of getting stuck in your own head… And be deliberate about life. There is a difference between an impossible stain and a dye that won’t run, (I know, I’m terrible about using word pictures to mean things X-) and that’s deliberation.


So here’s to the New Year, and everything it holds. May it be one of dyes, and not stains…. Patchwork pieces, and not just patched holes. Weeds that turn out to be beauties that just happen not to grow in neat rows… An unseen thread of purpose running through the midst of the chaos, and the quiet peace of  knowing it’s there, especially in the silent times.  


Because, to quote Paul Overstreet…


“God Is Good, All The Time! He Puts A Song Of Praise In This Heart Of Mine…”


He really does.


A blessed year to you, kindreds.



~Emily




10 comments:

  1. That really is a delightful excerpt; I'll have to look into that book! "Be careful, it won't rub out": words to remember.

    Be deliberate. Yes, indeed. Something I must take to heart. I think your advice to yourself is very applicable to me as well.

    I actually really like the stain and dye analogy! :D

    A blessed year to you, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I hope you do! I think you’d love it (; Especially when you take Bridgie and Esmeralda (short for Joan) and The Major into consideration….

      Well then, shall we both take it up and do valiantly😜

      Aww, thankyou! I was hoping it wasn’t one of those things that only made sense to me….

      To the New Year, and to friendship🤗

      Delete
  2. "Paths and not walls"...I like that! I almost never make New Years resolutions, either, but I usually try to find a word of the year (and by "find" I mean "pray for") that will be a guiding thread throughout the year. (And sometimes I also pick a creative thing I want to do every day of the year...this year it's a sketch.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, so we are cut from the same cloth! Lovely to meet you for myself, by the way ;) I feel like I’m rediscovering everyone!

      Ohh, now that sounds like something I ought to try….
      (Both things, actually. Seems like that could be a bit like a visual journal by the end of the year, which is an intriguing thought!) Almost like having not a theme, exactly, but something a little like it? And here I envy you, because the artistic part got very distinctly left out of me😄

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! I'll be happy to page through The Idlewood Archives in this coming year ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a very happy New Year to you too!
      Ooh, delighted to have you along for the ride🤗 2024 is off to a promising start already!

      Delete
  4. *tiptoes back in* I just tagged you: https://starlightandsaucepans.org/the-30-song-tag/
    No pressure, of course, only if/when you feel in the mood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh my goodness, this is so exciting!! I’ve never been tagged before, so this is particularly thrilling🤗 ’Course, you may have to give me a vague outline of how this works though, because I have only the foggiest of notions…. I’m not kidding when I say I’m a greenhorn😜

      Delete
    2. Oh, of course! It took me a while to figure out how the whole tagging thing worked...'tis a little confusing :P The common procedure for writing a tag-answering post is to start by acknowledging and linking to the blogger who tagged you, then answer the questions in the tag...using your own judgment for how much detail and explanation to use, of course. (And for a tag like this, in which all the answers are songs, I think it makes sense to link to a version of the song on Youtube or something in your answer.) Then, after you've answered the tag questions, you can tag other bloggers if you like. Some tags have rules for how many bloggers you should tag (although those rules are not always scrupulously followed, hehe), but this one doesn't, so it can be as many or as few as you like! (Once I've tagged someone, I also like to comment on their blog telling them so, just to make sure they know.)

      Hopefully all that sort of makes sense - don't feel bad about telling me if I made a confusing muddle of that explanation :P I look forward to seeing your answers! <3

      Delete
    3. This makes perfect sense, thank you bunches and millions <3 You’re a lifesaver! I may just come back and reference this from here on out until it sticks (;

      It sounds a little like a recipe tree, now that I think of it! Though how many branches it will gather after meeting me is doubtful, I see you’ve already tagged Ruth too, and I haven’t met a very great lot of people yet😜

      Anyways. I’m gonna start scribbling here! Thank you again, I seriously appreciate the help🤗

      Delete

It is a truth universally acknowledged that any writer, in possession of a blog, must be in want of comments!